Radon Field Day (semi tongue in cheek)

Hmmm....

I see such people very often during the particular

times when I make a purchase of gasoline.  Somehow,

this phenomenon is associated with my car running on

empty and needing a fillup.  :-) Hey, I use fossil

fuels, too, or at least this thing I call my car does.

 :-)

While I'm telling the Mini-Mart clerk, "$9.01 gas over

on pump #5," the person before me or after me in line

is asking for a pack o' Marlboros (or whatever

flavor), often without the gas purchase that is my

usual sole purpose for visiting a Mini-Mart.

This post is made with a bit of a dry touch humor, but

I hope that folks get the 'point' to pay attention to

tobacco 1st; maybe after that, think about pollutants.

There are several pollutants in that list that come in

'front' of radon.  The first of them is 'indoor air

pollutants.'  That is a rather vague and highly

inclusive term that seems to mean anything from 2nd

hand smoke (yes, I have opened many windows to let

that icky stuff go from my air-space) to the 'smoky'

results when someone doesn't know how to cook dinner

(ha ha! this is directed at a certain person _not_ on

this list!  :-)), to maybe? the formaldehyde

emanations from new carpet and/or fresh shipments of

new clothing to department stores - formaldehyde is

used to keep the clothes 'fresh').  [A friend of mine

who is a department store clerk told me about this

one].

The next one on the list is something like 'specified

air pollutants.'  Memories of my early college years

walking in Griffith Park (LA) come to mind...memories

of trying to catch any sort of a decent view of Los

Angeles from the hills above...good clear views were

rare, except on a very windy day...'nuff said.  Later,

I moved to the Southeast, which, overall, is blessed

with cleaner air thanks to weather conditions and lack

of topography (most areas) that favors inversions.

Happy Friday and enjoy the beautiful May weather that

most are having - Spring is in full bloom in the

Southeast Mountains and nature is singing.

Something strikes me as wrong when people try too much

to fight nature.  [Yes, radon as well as other aspects

of natural background like 'earthshine' and 'skyshine'

_are_ a part of nature].

~Ruth 2

[yeah, I'm related to a 2+ pack/day smoker in Ventura

Co., CA (low radon, by the way) dec. of lung cancer

several years ago.  I'm also owned by a nuisance cat

;-) who is sitting beside me now and owner of a

clunker car.  I'm owner of a few pairs of Doc Martens

that are slowly getting beat up from day hiking and

also owner of a terrific, reliable used IBM PII

computer re-sold from its erstwhile corporate

location].  :-)

--- epirad@mchsi.com wrote:

> Howard,

> I don't think anyone wants to volunteer to get lung

> cancer.

> Bill Field

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience

http://launch.yahoo.com