I Won My Case

Radsafe Folks --

I would like for you all to know that I have won my DOE whistleblower case. The initial verdict (in December) went against me, but this was reversed on appeal this past week.

The appeals decision stated that the first judge's decision was "clearly erroneous". The appeals decision supported my allegations that I was laid off from Oak Ridge National Laboratory because of my disclosures about rad protection problems. You can read this decision on DOE's Office of Hearings and Appeals Web site. I am entitled to ask the judge to award back pay, front pay, lawyer's fees, etc., and reinstatement. The contractor (UT-Battelle) has 30 days in which to appeal in its turn.

This is a big win, but the basic problem DOE has is still there. That is, in handling reports of safety problems, DOE does not have what I think is a coherent and effective method of investigating the whole situation. DOE separates the allegations of safety deficiencies from the allegations of retaliation.

First, DOE handles the evaluations of the safety deficiencies itself; the whistleblower has nothing to say about this and is informed only regarding the outcome, if at all. In particular, the whistleblower is not asked to comment on the adequacy of any proposed corrective actions. I am not aware of any such actions for ORNL. My impression is that DOE completely let ORNL off the hook, without investigating any individual instance I reported. They also ignored the adverse trends that I reported.

Second, DOE handles the allegations of retaliation in a "Let's you and him fight" manner. That is, DOE -- although it may have been complicit in the retaliation as I think it was in my case by their field people's refusal to act on my early disclosures to them -- becomes the "neutral" judge of the case, which the whistleblower has to pursue at the whistleblower's own expense. After the initial screening process, DOE does no investigation on its own -- if the whistleblower can't figure out a way to unearth the smoking gun, so to speak, well, tough.

As I have told you before, I am writing a book on my experience and my recommendations about how things could be improved. I will post it on the Web when I am done. If any of you have been whistleblowers or have known one and you would like to tell me about it as background for my book, please drop me a line.

I would like to repeat my thanks to all who sent me notes of encouragement and support during all these months. It meant a lot to me to feel that I was still connected to the "rad world".

                                                                                                                                                            Janet Westbrook