No Subject

Title:

Regarding Jim Harman's comments about the DoJ WMD classes, I have not attended any of there on site classes but I have heard similar comments regarding the classes being heavy on Chem, less on bio and poor to possibly inaccurate on rad.

I have attended and am an instructor for the local level classes those taught to local responders in there own communities.

Since this is a Rad list I would like to make readers and local level responders aware of classes available through FEMA both at the local level on at there Berryville Facility.

FEMA has had available since the days of Civil Defense a Radiological Monitor Course a Radiological Response Team Course and a Hospital Emergency Department Hazmat and Radiation course. They also have available self-study material.

The real hands on training is offered at The Mt Weather facility in VA. It's a one week course Called RERO Radiological Emergency Response Operations. It's a hand's on course dealing with response to realistic, as much as possible response to radiological incidents. Yes we use real radiation.

For the Terrorists in the group there's AREO - Advanced Radiological Incident Response It too is a week long course dealing with the response to a developing terrorist incident involving Radioactive materials. The response is the same as to any other incident involving radioactive materials but the simulated involvement of the "lead Federal Agencies" and discussions of there roles makes the course different.

I would say that the courses in Nevada should be similar to RERO and AREO. Only difference they have more facilities to play with out in the desert.

The test sight is "abandoned and things don't deteriorate in the desert. Mt weather is a working facility.

Beside you get to see all the net stuff from the Weapons Test Days.

Neat Holes in the ground.

Media Hill

Frenchman's Flats

The NERVA test facility.

And soon to be YUCCA Mountain.
DOE has also put together a local level program for response to Transportation Incidents involving Radioactive Materials called the TEPP program.

Information on both of these courses is available on the web.

Also there FREE.