Tobacco, Radiation, & Government Regulation

    In following the "Radon Field Day" string, I think this discussion is very appropriate for  radsafe. In years past I had occasion to review the "evidence" on harmful effects of second-hand smoke and found it to be about as convincing as that for harmful effects of low-dose radiation. While there is little doubt that high doses of tobacco smoke  received from primary smoking is  dangerous, as is the case with high doses of radiation, the results of studies on second hand smoke appear to have been contrived to achieve the desired result - in this case to restrict the use of tobacco (maybe that's also the case with radiation). This sort of thing gives the government  a license to "control" the hazard and to tax it as a relatively easy source of revenue.
    Since second-hand smoke is irritating and offensive to many people (including me), the public readily accepts implementation of these controls and taxes since to many people, there is little distinction between what is harmful and what is unpleasant. Similarly, the idea of being exposed to radiation (regardless of dose level) conjures visions of Hiroshima and Chernobyl to a large segment of the public. Tobacco smoke and low-dose radiation are both easy targets for government regulation. Whether or not the public receives any real benefit from such government controls is another question.