Re: Exposure from flight

Very interesting observations on baggage vs personal.  From your comments,

is it true that the personal TLD was on your person as you went through

airport screening and not in carry-on?  If so, is it really true that the

metal detectors that one walks through at airports are using x-rays?  There

doesn't seem to be very much shielding to protect operators if that is

so.  On the other hand, the carry-on baggage x-ray systems rarely fog

camera film.  If it is in carry-on, the TLD is unlikely sensitive enough to

register much from that source.  Checked baggage would likely experience

radiation during flight similar to personal due to availability of higher

energy cosmic/space bombardment.  I've seen data from recording electronic

dosimeters and monitored a personal dosimetry pen on such flights.  They

both exhibit expected dose response whether on person or in baggage.  Of

interest is a recording dosimeter that actually shows changes in dose rate

with flight elevation, traffic pattern circling and ground taxi.  Have fun

with future measurements.  It will likely bring to light the need for and

studies in progress of the dosimetry of flight crews.  Experience data and

back of envelope calculation can easily show excess to common

administrative controls of 500 mrem/yr common to many DOE contractor personnel.

gltroyer