Re: ILLINOIS RADIOGRAPHER RECEIVED 15 SIEVERT (1,5

By now (since these accidents have happened like this (same scenario) for

more than 30 years (that I know of), what do we have to do to make

regulators and RSOs for these companies realize that a higher quality of

training is required for people using sources that can cause harm?  Will

this event be enough to cause the changes needed to at least minimize the

number and severity of these unnecessary exposures?

In the 70's we looked at development of monitors external to the source that

would provide visual indication that the source was in it's shield.  I know

that these are used by some, but I remember that the facility I was at

decided against them to ensure that the license condition (that

radiographers use their meters) was met.  After 30 years of radiographers

(of course not all of them) not using their meters can somebody take a hint?

The discussion below was sent to me separately from the list but I believe

its for all.

Tom O'Dou

radware@lvcm.com

www.rad-ware.com

Thanks for highly  stressing the need for radiography  training. Even in

Canada, the Ind. radiographers receive the highest exposure. A simple and

least expensive solution: I wish to suggest is to purchasing and using a AW

60 GM monitor with alarm and display will prevent these injuries and high

exposures. Position AW 60 close to the camera to verify, source is secured

or not. Cost about $ 200.00,nothing compared to lost days and injury cost.

The AW also monitors what has happened at the site by a computer record.

shared to prevent  unnecessary radiation exposures

Vaidy Bala