Markey- NRC lax on security - NY Times Article

Bill Smirnow wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/news/news-utilities

> -nuclear-security.html

> Clamp on Drills Seen Raising Risk at U.S. Reactors

> By REUTERS

> Filed at 11:34 a.m. ET

> SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - When nuclear regulators

> put U.S. atomic reactors on high alert after the

> Sept. 11 attacks, they also froze training drills

> for the plant's security forces, a move critics

> warn weakens their defense.

> Training exercises to simulate ``force-on-force''

> attacks to test security at the plants were

> postponed while the federal Nuclear Regulatory

> Commission launched a ``top-to-bottom'' review of

> overall security at the nation's 103 commercial

> reactors.

>       The security drills, in which a handful of armed

> commandos assisted by an ``insider'' launch a mock

> attack on each plant once every eight years, may

> be reinstated but the timing is uncertain, said

> Breck Henderson, a commission spokesman.

> The commission's continuing security review may

> turn up a new ``threat basis'' for the power

> plants that could change the nature of exercises

> to test the plants, Henderson said.

> ``We have not decided when we will do (assault)

> exercises again. We are proceeding very

> carefully,'' he added.

> But critics of the commission said the nuclear

> industry is moving too slowly and should beef up

> security training now that its reactor fleet,

> which generates 20 percent of the nation's

> electricity, is on the highest alert.

> ``The Nuclear Regulatory Commission is still

> living in a pre-Sept. 11 world,'' said

> Massachusetts Rep. Edward Markey, senior Democrat

> on the House Energy and Commerce Committee and a

> frequent critic of the agency.

> FACING THREAT

> ``They have not permanently upgraded the security

> regulations at nuclear reactors to ensure that

> they are protected against the level of threat we

> now know we face,'' Markey told Reuters.

> The Sept. 11 attacks by hijacked airliners raised

> the specter of a big plane smashing into the

> hardened buildings housing atomic reactors and

> triggering the release of poisonous radioactive

> material.

> That concern has widened, however, to include more

> vulnerable plant targets like water intake

> systems, pools where the used radioactive fuel is

> stored, and adjacent sites for transformers and

> other equipment.

> Responding to questions by Markey about security

> at atomic plants, the agency said it suspended the

> exercises because ``the current elevated threat

> environment would pose significant safety hazards

> to the (plants') employees and negatively impact

> security effectiveness.''

> Security manpower is a big problem, said Doug

> Walters, senior project manager at the

> Washington-based Nuclear Energy Institute, a trade

> group for nuclear utilities.

> ``We support doing exercises but you need to

> involve a lot of people. A high-level alert is not

> [...]

Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr

Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8583 or 609-601-8537;

ncohen12@comcast.net  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:

http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:

http://www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for Peace and

Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.

"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you;

Then you win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin

Carpenter)