Re: 'Voting with feet' for/against Low vs. Hi Dose Rad! :-)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Jacobus, John (OD/ORS) <jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov>

An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Freitag, 31. Mai 2002 22:02

Betreff: RE: 'Voting with feet' for/against Low vs. Hi Dose Rad! :-)

>Jim,

>I am glad you try to defuse my questions with humor. Obviously, neither one

>of us take this study seriously.  But I still curious as to why you think

>this study has anything to do with sensing radiation.  If you blow ozone on

>the woodlice and they respond, what does this have to do with ionizing

>radiation?  "How" is very relevant to the experiment.

----------

Would you let me try to speculate about the article on Readers Digest?

The article in the respected scientific journal Readers Digest was as

described published in the late fifties or early sixties. At that time

"radioactive sources" was something which emitting radiation many orders of

magnitude higher than what we call nowadays "radioactive sources". Therefore

it is not unlikely that ozone was generated in a concentration which might

have caused spiders to run away or also static electricity may have been a

reason for their behaviour. Maybe even humans would have run away, when

their hair was raised by static electricity?

Maybe one should start a literature search in the respected scientific

journal Readers Digest in order to clarify the story.

Let me finish with the remark, that I appreciate even the slightest trace of

humour on RADSAFE... Our job is serious enough!

Franz