Re: Regulatory Use of EDE vs ED

Chris,

As you've noticed, there is no consistency in ED or EDE.

We do provide many facilities with EDE calculations, based on the

better known, Webster methodology (both for single and for 2 badges

worn), and, the Niklasson methodology, which does provide for a

higher dose determination, compared to the Webster. We also provide

one facility an EDE based on ANSI N13.41-1997 methodology, which does

take into account specific organ dose weighting.

With respect to state accepted EDE calculations, there is no

consistency. Some allow all wearers to use it, some only the MD, some

only the technologists. I doubt there will ever be a single accepted

rule on the use of EDE.

Recently, the NRC put out a statement that does allow licensees to

take credit for EDE if the state regulated program allows the use of

EDE calculations. I can out my hand on it if necessary. I am also

aware that there is one nuclear power plant, who has submitted a

request to the NRC, to allow use of EDE calculations, based on a

front and rear TLD being worn (for specific jobs where there is non-

uniform geometry). The NRC has given preliminary favourable comments

back to the utility.

I am not aware of FDA using the ED model. I am sure that perhaps

someone else will jump in and provide their feedback.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com