Comment Solicited - letter re nuclear waste use

Dear Radsafers,

After I contemplate comment from some of you, I plan to submit something

like this provocative letter to National Geographic. I believe it is

time to encourage health physicists to approach radiation deficiency

like other deficiency diseases. NG's "Half Life - lethal legacy of

America's nuclear waste" is the usual fear-mongering, setting up for

panic with a "dirty bomb".  Howard Long

Howard Long MD MPH, Family Doctor and Epidemiologist

 363 St. Mary St., Pleasanton CA, 94566

 (925) 846-4411, Fax 4524, Page 787-0253 hflong@pacbell.net

National Geographic Magazine, PO Box 98199,     7/3/02

Washington, DC 20090-8199 Fax 202-828-5460

Ngsforum@nationalgeographic.com

Nuclear Waste  - A Valuable Resource

Dear Forum Editor,

Recycled radioactive waste might help provide optimum

wound healing, cancer prevention and longevity.

Numerous animal and population studies suggest this.

Placebo-controlled trials are needed to find the best dose.

USA counties with 100 Bq/cubic meter average home radon have lower

lung cancer death rates (smokers or not) than either counties with more

radon

(as in Iowa), or less radon, (most of the USA).

27,872 nuclear shipyard workers who accumulated 0.5 rem extra radiation

(what they’d get living in the mountain states),  had just 0.76 the

death rate

of unexposed coworkers.

Residents of Taiwan condos receiving over 20 x usual background

radiation from cobalt 60 waste in re-bar had only 6 cancers

vs 200 cancers in a comparable population.

We supplement deficient iodine, fluoride, vitamins and sunshine to

prevent goiter,

tooth decay, dementia and rickets, so let’s supplement deficient

radiation

with recycled waste.

Howard Long