Re:Marshall Islands

Hi Radsafers,

      From:  jpreisig@aol.com  .

      Happy 4th of July!!!!

      Brookhaven National Lab. used to do Whole Body Counting of the

Marshallese people to see what was going on with various radionuclides in

their

bodies.  I believe a west coast DOE lab now conducts this work (west coast

USA).

The counting equipment used to be on a boat, I believe.  I wonder if

Brookhaven

has a web site about all this.  A fellow named Conard was involved in this

work early on at Brookhaven.  Later on, people like Ed Lessard, Bob

Miltenberger, Casper Sun, Steve Musolino, etc.did some of this work.  Most of

these people are Health Physics Society members, and might be coaxed into

giving talks about this work (at local Health Physics Society chapter

meetings).

     I believe the Marshall Islands is now an independent nation????  Some of

the radionuclides of concern (fission products) concentrate well into some

of the favorite foods of the Marshallese: a particular crab and also

coconuts.

For a while there, the US government was supplying the Marshallese with

canned goods, so they would not eat the crabs and coconuts.  I don't know if

this

is still going on.

     Anyway, good luck with your web-searches on this topic.  Guess we'll

have

to leave the nuclear bomb testing to the Indians and Pakistanis and whoever

(whichever nation) develops nuclear weapon capability next.

    Regards,                        Joe Preisig, Ph.D.