RE: dirty bomb -- doctors at Society of Nuclear Medicine's annual meeting

At 02:04 PM 7/5/02 -0400, Ted Rockwell wrote:
> They've got all the facts right (or almost--e.g. the delayed deaths after Chernobyl), but the dead-wrong conclusion.  We should tell people these facts, without the conclusion, and then conclude "therefore, there's no need to panic."

Why keep telling them they should panic??!

Ted Rockwell

Dear Radsafers:

I was at the SNM meeting referred to above.  I do not recall anyone saying that there were delayed deaths from Cernobyl.  I did ask Henry Royal if there had been any deaths among the children with thyroid cancer, and he said that he thought there had been 5-6, but that they died from complications of surgery, not the cancer itself.  A complication rate like this is incredibly high; it would not happen here.

As far as the public panic question goes, the speakers pointed out the probable panic that would ensue, and stressed the importance of feeding the public useful, truthful information to try to stop the panic.

It was a superb session.

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.
<csmarcus@ucla.edu>