Format comment summary

Gosh, my last digest this morning appeared to be almost entirely on this

thread!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond and especially those that

also stated the reasons for their opinion.  I have followed radsafe for

many years and have seen the advances that have taken place on the

internet, and the setbacks that firewalls and security policies have placed

on many of us.  I personally use the web extensively from work, home and

while on travel and don't have a problem with the newer web-based formats.

My original post was only to solicite your thoughts and not to force a

change.  I'd like to thank Vanderbilt for sponsoring us post Urbana.

Several of DOE's programs are considering listservers and/or BBS's for the

interchange of information in specific areas and I thought radsafe would be

a good representation of listserv users to "test the waters" on which

format is preferable.  It appears that something that is a chimera of both

worlds - web based but also allows for participation in the email format

with melding of email posts into the web database.  Hmmmmmmmmm ?

In all, I received 18 replies, 12 with comments that helped explain their

opinions.  There were 5 votes for the new format, 3 that were essentially

neutral (could go one way or the other) and 10 that voted a preference for

the existing listserv format.  Of the 10 negative votes, the reasons

included issues with internet access policies at work (some employers

considered BBS formats a variant of "chat" groups and banned access), the

fact that receiving email is passive whereas visiting a website is active

(although with email you still have to read, delete, or store your email),

and others thought that reading email is easier for them than surfing a

website (I guess it's a matter of clicking and dispositioning multiple

email messages versus clicking through the web pages - a matter of personal

preference).

Thanks again to all radsafers who responded.

Bob Loesch

US Dept of Energy