Re: Deadly Waste

It was pointed out that I was accusing Norm of "knowing nothing" below.

> Norm,

> See how you lose all credibility!?  Knowing NOTHING about radiation health

> effects, you know with certainty that:

I wrote that intending it to mean instead: "Even without knowing (applying)

anything about radiation health effects (biology / epidemiology), you know

,,, (that a limit of 4 mrem as one source of natural radiation in the range

of natural radiation from 60 to 6,000+ mrem can have no public health

benefit.)"

Regards, Jim

> 1) EPA's limit is 4 mrem/year for exposure of people to NATURAL radionuclides

> in drinking water (rule issued Dec 2000). That same limit is set by

> EPA/DOE/NRC for water from Yucca Mountain (doses estimated 100,000+ years in

> the future, with highly conservative calculations that overstate the doses).

> No one on the planet is exposed to less than about 60 mrem/year (internal

> K-40, sea level cosmic rays, K-40 in the ground). Substantial populations are

> exposed to 600 mrem/year, some populations are exposed to 6,000 mrem/year,

> with small local groups exposed to 10s of thousands of mrem/year (with no

> adverse health effects, and some indication of health benefits at high natural

> doses - including thousands of years that radium/radon health spas have been

> known to produce improved health.)

> There can therefore be NO POSSIBLE health protection from a (very costly,

> i.e., profitable, rad protection) limit of 4 mrem!

> 2) Doctors send millions of patients every year to nuclear medicine and

> radiology diagnostic procedures that expose millions of people to hundreds of

> times EPA limits every year. Overwhelmingly, people ignorantly go to get their

> radiation while being terrorized about trivial rad levels at extreme rad

> protection limits.

> Note again: If the rad protectionists are right about rad dose health effects,

> radiologists are mass murderers! But the NCRP/ICRP and its minions are NOT

> right. And they know they are not right. They could not be so specific about

> terminating research and misrepresenting data and selecting key, otherwise

> unqualified people to appoint to committees and lucrative academic positions.

> Regards, Jim Muckerheide

>> Brian Keele wrote:

>>>  Norm:  As our spokesman for the radical movement, what is your

>>> opinion regarding spending several billion dollars to remediate

>>> retired facilities and contaminated land to ultra low

>>> standards? Regulators:  How can you justify such ultra-low standards

>>> when there are so many real problems in the world that could be fixed

>>> for a whole lot less money? Brian Keele Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002

>>> 07:08:09 -0700