RE: Cancer mortality rates

Jack Earley wrote:

-----Original Message-----

From: Earley, Jack

Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 4:25 PM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Cancer mortality rates

The following letter is from the Tri-City Herald, July 10,2002:

Cancer death rates lower here

	One in eight Americans will develop thyroid cancer.

	The only consistent and overall highest incidence of thyroid cancer

deaths (rated 10 on a scale from one to 10, with 10 being highest) from

1950-1994, per the National Cancer Institute, is concentrated around

Houston, Texas, and, for females only, in one small county each in central

Pennsylvania, north central Ohio and eastern Michigan.

	The overall cancer death rate from 1950-1994 for Benton and Franklin

counties [location of Hanford site] is below the national average. The

1950-1994 highest cancer death rates overall are in King County (Seattle)

and Multnomah County (Portland).

	Several multiyear studies show that low levels of radiation actually

stimulate the immune system.

	I am a consumer advocate for cancer research and related activities,

am associated with the National Cancer Institute, and am Northwest chair of

the National Association of Cancer Patients.

	For more information, see www.cancerpatients.org

<http://www.cancerpatients.org>.

	Marlene Oliver, West Richland

Jack Earley

Radiological Engineer

=====================

I saw this letter when it appeared in the Herald, but decided not to waste

my once-a-month letter to the editor allowance responding to it (when there

might be a later letter or something else in the Herald in much greater need

of response).

There are at least two things wrong with the letter.

Far fewer than one in eight Americans will develop anything clinically

recognizable as thyroid cancer (incidence rates are on the order of 2 per

100,000 population per year).  There is evidence that one in sixteen

Americans will show signs of small thyroid tumors on autopsy, tumors that

were never recognized clinically and that were not the cause of death.

The letter makes assertions about overall cancer death rates from 1950-1994

in Benton and Franklin counties.  To the best of my knowledge, that data

does not exist.  For many years the only regional cancer registry was the

Blue Mountain Cancer Registry, located in Walla Walla in Walla Walla County,

about 50 miles from the Tri-Cities, but its coverage of Benton and Franklin

County cancer was incomplete since many cancer patients go to Spokane or

Seattle for treatment or, more recently, stay in the Tri-Cities.  I assume

the data for recent years (say 1985 to present) is more complete.

I would not be surprised to discover that the cancer rate in Benton and

Franklin counties is lower than many other places, but I don't believe that

has been established.  What has been established is that Hanford workers

have lower cancer rates than the general public and that the Tri-Cities and

its surroundings have thyroid disease rates that are indistinguishable for

other populations.  Further, within the Tri-Cities and its surroundings,

exposure of those who were children in the mid- and late-40s to radioiodine

releases from the Hanford Site had no detectable impact on the rate of

thyroid disease in that population (per the recently completed HTDS).

Ms Oliver's goals and those of the organization she represents here in the

Northwest appear to be laudable, but she damages her and their credibility

by arguments that cannot be supported.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Richland, WA

jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my

management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.