Overwhelmed and deepest thanks to all

Only a couple days ago, I placed the following question (item) on

Radsafe:

"Germany's largest U-boat, the 1,700 ton Type XB minelayer U-234 – was

at sea when the war ended, and surrendered in mid-ocean to an American

destroyer escort. Her original destination had been Japan; her cargo

included two complete ME-262 jet fighters (disassembled in crates, but

with complete technical data) and 550 kilograms of Uranium 235 (or

Uranium oxide -- sources differ), packed in lead containers. The reason

the uranium was being sent to Japan has never been determined – or, at

least, revealed."

In particular, I want to express publicly my sincere thanks to Paul

Frame and Ted Rockwell as well as to many many others who have

contributed their responses to this curious, dinky, little item. None of

you can imagine my delight over the history and the new reference web

sites provided by Paul and Ted. Ever see a 74 yr old fart utterly

consumed with delight over new toys at Christmas? Well, you have now --

I are him!!!! And in July in Texas! I hope that the rest of you have

enjoyed even some small part of the wonder and the appreciation of human

complexity that has been revealed by these glimpses into details of the

past.

Similar feelings have resulted from the ideas exchanged about The

Nuclear Earth. Just think -- right there under (well, OK, a couple

thousand miles) our very feet. Think of all those post holes we thought

would dump us into China. (g)

Human animals are magnificent, complex creatures in spite of our many

unpleasant aspects. I have seen and helped deal death in large numbers

in the first winter of the Korean War. Far from any cheapening of human

life, that gave me a new appreciation of fellow beings even while

recognizing that for a variety

of reasons, members throughout the animal kingdom kill others of their

own species. This is neither good nor bad (for whom and for what?) -- it

just is. It is  the way all of us are. Death begins with birth -- be it

ever thus.

Even so, there can only be deepest sorrow to learn of the background

surrounding the movie story of the K-19 and the treatment heaped upon

survivors and upon the memories of those who were lost. There is true

beauty in what many people will do for the satisfaction of helping our

fellows even as we do our best in other ways to destroy others who

appear to pose threats to us. Courage and convictions are more prevalent

than many of us are willing to admit. And these are manifest in so many

unthought of ways -- not just in specific brief battlefield moments, but

also in the behavior of those who work hard day in and year out to build

systems, organizations, and families to promote beliefs.

I hope you will forgive my rant -- I just want to say thank you out loud

to Paul, Ted and others who have so enriched my life in the last couple

of days. I'm just amazed ....  So, since it is a beautiful day here,

I'll take a rented Cessna 172 up for a while to ponder some picturesque

Texas landscape -- maybe even go look again and appreciate Comanche

Peak.

Sincerely,

Maury&Dog                maury@webtexas.com