maximum permissible limits

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Ruth Sponsler <jk5554@YAHOO.COM>

An: Ted Rockwell <tedrock@CPCUG.ORG>; Dov Brickner <brickner@zahav.net.il>;

hflong@postoffice.pacbell.net <hflong@postoffice.pacbell.net>; jjcohen

<jjcohen@PRODIGY.NET>

Cc: Gibbs, S Julian <s.julian.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu>; Jacobus, John (OD/ORS)

<jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov>; Radsafe Mail list <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Sonntag, 21. Juli 2002 19:20

Betreff: Cancer deficiency clusters

>This reason is exactly why statistics profs advise

>people doing _research_ to use 2-sided confidence

>limits, and discourage the practice of 1-sided limits

>in most cases.  [1-sided limits have some valid

>applications in non-research fields such as quality

>control and business management].

This comment raises for me a very important question: What is the criterion,

whether a maximum permíssible concentration has been exceeded? There are two

extremes possible: Is it, that the measured value plus x sigma has to be

below the MPC or is it that the measured value has to be below the MPC plus

x sigma? The latter criterion is used in most regulations in Austria

regarding contaminants in food (x=2). The criterion defined by the Austrian

Standardisation Organisation (which has to be regarded as a recommendation

and has no real legislative power) is coherent with the first extreme. I

wonder, what the legislation is in other countries.

Best regards,

Franz

#