RE: Portable gamma spectroscopy

I believe that the key factors will turn out to be: ease of use by security
staff, portability and cost. The ability to quantify activity, detect low
levels in a short period of time, or differentiate uncommon nuclides are not
required and may not be desirable. Certainly any system that requires a
trained spectroscopist or substantial outlay of time and money to maintain
in the field will be excluded.

I think this last sentence is where I have serious questions about the proliferation of these devices.  While I agree that the intent of these proposals and use of these spectroscopy based survey instruments is based on real concerns, I do not believe this can be implemented as easily as implied.  These instruments seem relatively easy to use....similar to a point and shoot camera, however, understanding the underlying theory and expertise in nuclide identification is still necessary to properly interpret the data and implement such a screening program.  None of the devices that I have seen/reviewed can be properly utilized with out a good background in gamma spectroscopy.  The alternative will be that the security staff and probably the site radiation safety office will be spending a considerable amount of time chasing ghosts.  ...just my humble opinion, of course.

Regards,

Dave Brown, CHP
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 3543
Bldg 235 Rm B104
Gaithersburg, MD  20899-3543

301-975-5810 - office
301-921-9847 - fax
david.brown@nist.gov
*The content of this message has not been endorsed by my employer*