Re: maximum permissible limits

I would think that this depends on what you are trying to show:

If a regulator wants to use the measurement to prosecute someone, then he

has to admit that there is error in the measurement and his measurement has

to exceed the limit plus error. For example, if a policeman has a radar gun

that is accurate to within 5 km/h, then his reading should exceed the speed

limit by 5 km/h, before he gives you a ticket.

If the onus is on a licensee to show compliance, then you haven't shown

compliance unless your measured value plus the associated error is below the

limit.

In some cases the result of a measurement (without including error) triggers

the action. For example, in a code of practice you might specify that, if

your measurement exceeds a certain value, you re-count the filter etc to

confirm the reading and, if the reading is confirmed, you do X,Y and Z. In

this case, the fact that there may be an error in the measurement is taken

into account and an appropriate action is specified (confirm the reading).

Kai Kaletsch

http://www.eic.nu