RE: Cancer deficiency clusters

Jim,

Obviously you misunderstood my comments.  But you are not the only one.

I believe that the purpose of the report was to refute claims of increased

cancer in Navy shipyards.  Besides repairing ships, that seemed to be the

second biggest job we did.  (Again, being in the Navy at this time, I was

aware of a number of programs involving radiation measurements, risks,

claims, etc.  This cohort study (again, cohort) showed there was no increase

in leukemia and hematopoietic  cancers in this group.  This is all the study

was funded to show, and it did.

The problem is you are extrapolating the data and drawing a conclusion that

is beyond the limits of the study and the conclusion.  To charge someone

with misconduct and dishonesty in scientific research is very serious,

particularly without proof.  In law, it is called slander.  Your proof is

based on an interpretation of the data in comparison with other SELECTED

studies and conclusions, that support your own political agenda.

My understanding is that in science involves careful study of observed

effects, compilation and interpretation of the data, and the drawing of

conclusions for the observations made.  My impression is that a lot of these

epidemiological studies, including this study, have limitations that may

bias the results.  However, I believe that it is better for those who have

more knowledge and experiences in this kind of work to restudy it for

accuracy.  I notice that the vast majority of the people who support your

position on the LNT are not epidemiologist.  Why is that?  John Cameron is

not a epidemiologist, and I do not think you are also.  Maybe the data

should be reviewed, but certainly not by "those who are familiar with the

data (and its manipulation and suppression)."  Or maybe you do not want an

unbiased review?

Have a nice week.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS