Re: Sunscreen and UV

In a message dated 8/5/02 10:49:18 AM Mountain Daylight Time, neildm@id.doe.gov writes:

For the white, reflection of UV may not be a valid assumption.

In order to get a nice bright white, a fluorescent dye is often used, which absorbs the UV and emits a blue-white color (probably several phosphors, mixed).  Laundry detergent uses it, too, for the same purpose.

I am not talking about anything with a fluorescent additive, but simply light-colored paint. Pure zinc oxide suspended in vaseline (when my four were babies I bought it in one-pound jars) is indeed bright white, because that is the color of zinc oxide powder.

Basic optics tells us that white is a total reflector of the visible spectrum and black is a total absorber.. My white bike helmet reflects the sunlight and is (albeit marginally) cooler than my black bike helmet.  I hgave never measured to see how transparent something like zinc oxide paste is to UV, but my experience tells me that it's not very transparent.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com