Officials to lay N.Korea atom reactor foundations

Officials to lay N.Korea atom reactor foundations

Hiroshima Remembers Bombing Victims

W Australian Premier slams plans for radioactive waste facility

=================================

Officials to lay N.Korea atom reactor foundations

SOKCHO, South Korea, Aug 6 (Reuters) - A multi-national team from the

agency overseeing a key non-proliferation pact with Pyongyang set

sail for North Korea on Tuesday to launch a landmark nuclear reactor

project.

The concrete-pouring on Wednesday has symbolism well beyond the

remote construction site at Kumho, on North Korea's east coast, where

the internationally funded Korean Peninsula Energy Development

Organisation (KEDO) is building two reactors.

The event is sandwiched between two rounds of talks between the two

Koreas and amid an unexpected flurry of diplomatic activity on the

peninsula, which has been bitterly divided since the 1950-53 Korean

War.

There is the additional factor of uncertain North Korean economic

reforms and the unspoken irony of a U.S.-based organisation building

nuclear reactors in a country U.S. President George W. Bush has

called part of an "axis of evil."

KEDO is a consortium set up to implement a $4.6 billion reactor

project under the Agreed Framework, a 1994 U.S.-North Korea deal

which froze the North's suspected nuclear weapons programme in

exchange for annual supplies of fuel oil and two western-built

nuclear reactors.

The deal was struck under the Clinton administration but Bush has

continued to allow funding despite his reservations about North

Korea's Communist leadership.

KEDO officials met in Seoul on Monday ahead of their trip to the

North to discuss progress on the project, which is several years

behind schedule.

They will travel there and back aboard a South Korean ferry, which

left the port of Sokcho for the overnight passage up the coast of the

Korean peninsula.

Delegates will watch the first pouring of concrete for the

foundations of the main power plant buildings, KEDO said in a

statement. It described the planned event as an important milestone

in the construction of the light-water reactor project.

South Korea, which produces some 40 percent of its electricity using

nuclear reactors, is the source of the reactor technology. Seoul's

state-run Korea Electric Power Corp (KEPCO) is KEDO's prime

contractor.

KEDO's executive board has representatives from the European Union,

Japan, South Korea and the United States.

Board representatives will be on hand at Kumho as well as other

countries contributing to the project.

-----------------

Hiroshima Remembers Bombing Victims

HIROSHIMA, Japan Aug 6 (AP) - As thousands assembled in Hiroshima's

Peace Memorial Park to mark the 57th anniversary of the world's first

atomic bomb attack Tuesday, Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi

reaffirmed Japan's policy against building or possessing nuclear

weapons.

In May, Koizumi's Cabinet spokesman sparked controversy when he said

that Japan is not legally prohibited from having nuclear arms - an

assertion interpreted by some as a major shift in the country's long-

standing anti-nuclear policy.

Koizumi repeatedly has tried to quell the controversy, and again

stressed Japan's no-nuclear policy Tuesday.

``As the only country in history to have experienced atomic bombings,

I would like to underline Japan's unwavering commitment to its war-

renouncing constitution and its three principles: non-possession, non-

production and non-entry of nuclear weapons,'' Koizumi said.

A lone bell rang to mark the day Hiroshima was flattened by the

world's first atomic bomb attack.

More than 30,000 survivors, residents and dignitaries from around the

world bowed their heads for 60 seconds of silence at 8:15 a.m. - the

moment on Aug. 6, 1945 when the bomb, dropped from a U.S. B-29 plane,

enshrouded the city in a mushroom cloud.

The bomb killed about 140,000 people and sickened hundreds of

thousands more in Hiroshima, 430 miles southwest of Tokyo. Three days

later, the United States dropped a second atomic bomb on Nagasaki,

killing 70,000 people. Japan surrendered on Aug. 15, 1945, ending

World War II.

Hiroshima Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba urged countries to get rid of weapons

of mass destruction, even as nuclear-armed India and Pakistan remain

on war footing in the hotly contested region of Kashmir.

``The probability that nuclear weapons will be used again and the

danger of nuclear war are increasing,'' Akiba said in the annual

peace declaration. ``Today, we vow to do our utmost to create a

century of peace and humanity,''

Akiba criticized what he called the prevailing international

philosophy of '``I'll show you' and 'I'm stronger than you are,'''

and accused the United States of trying to impose ``Pax Americana on

the rest of us.''

He then invited President Bush to visit Hiroshima and ``confirm with

his own eyes what nuclear weapons hold in store.''

Among those paying respects Tuesday was Junichiro Nagai, 71, who was

a middle school student on the outskirts of Hiroshima

when the city was incinerated.

For months afterward, he suffered from radiation sickness, vomiting

and diarrhea fits. He is still haunted by memories of a city

burned to the ground in an instant and images of zombie-like victims

with melted skin.

``My body's fine now,'' Nagai said after praying at the memorial.

``It's what I saw that day that was most disturbing.''

During Tuesday's ceremony, 1,500 white doves were released into the

sky and 500 children sang a song of peace.

The memorial in Hiroshima includes the names of more than 200,000

people who were in the city on the day of the bombing. Every

year, the names of those who have died since the previous year's

anniversary are added to the cenotaph.

This year's total rose by 4,977 people to 226,870 victims, as more of

the older generation succumbed to long-term illnesses caused

by the blast, such as cancer, Hiroshima city spokeswoman Yukiko Ota

said.

Ceremonies are to be held Thursday to mark the atomic bombing of

Nagasaki, on the southernmost main island of Kyushu.

----------------

W Australian Premier slams plans for radioactive waste facility

Aug 6 (Australian Broadcasting Company)  The Western Australian

Premier, Geoff Gallop, is warning of political consequences for

the Federal Government if it imposes a radioactive  waste facility on

the state.

The Federal Government is considering tenders from scientific

consultants, to locate potential sites on Commonwealth land for such

a  facility.

It wants an above ground facility with a lifespan of at least 50

years.

Dr Gallop says WA is out of bounds.

"I'm going to make that point very clearly to the Prime Minister that

 that nuclear waste is not acceptable here in Western Australia," he

said.

"From our point of view it would be the thin edge of the wedge, in

terms  of WA's position, it would damage our reputation as a clean

and a green  state, and as far as we're concerned it's not welcome."

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/