RE: Annual attempt at correction

The July 18th Truman quote does not address the question of whether the atomic bombs were needed, but whether Japan would surrender before the Soviets came in.  The fact that two atomic bombs were dropped (and the Soviets came in) before Japan finally surrendered blows holes in the myth that Japan was on the verge of surrender.

BTW, "surrender" is being used with different meanings.  Japan was willing to surrender provided the safety of the Emperor and the imperial system was guaranteed.   The U.S. was (rightly) demanding *unconditional* surrender, including the occupation of Japan by U.S. forces. After Nagasaki, Japan agreed to an unconditional surrender.  (The failure of the U.S. to try, convict, and execute the Japanese emperor after the war is another story.)

Furthermore, following the attack on Nagasaki, orders were issued to prepare more nuclear attacks on Japan. "Additional bombs will be delivered on the above targets as soon as made ready by the project staff." (Leslie Groves, _Now It Can Be Told_, pg. 308).

On August 9, after the bombing of Nagasaki, another person also explained the use of atomic bombs:

"Having found the bomb we have used it. We have used it against those who attacked us without warning at Pearl Harbor, against those who have starved and beaten and executed American prisoners of war, against those who have abandoned all pretense of obeying international laws of warfare. We have used it in order to shorten the agony of war, in order to save the lives of thousands and thousands of young Americans.  We shall continue to use it until we completely destroy Japan's power to make war. Only a Japanese surrender will stop us.     -  Harry S Truman  ("Public Papers of the Presidents: Harry S Truman, 1945", pg. 212).

Rick Strickert

Austin, TX