From: William V Lipton [mailto:liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 12:29 PM
To: Michael Kay
Cc: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: Annual attempt at correction

While not completely rejecting your position, I have some concerns:

1.  If the purpose of using nuclear weapons was to prevent intervention by the USSR, it obviously didn't work.  My, I'll admit limited, understanding is that this intervention was by agreement with the U.S.  If Truman didn't want the USSR getting involved, why did he promulgate this agreement?

2.  The invasion preparations seemed too intense just for show.  I hate to think of how many GI's, after battling Germany for months were, following a quick "attaboy," shipped to the Pacific rather than going home, as they deserved.  For a bargaining chip?  This seems to be a Nixonian manipulation well beyond Truman's thinking or ethics.  Besides, if we knew we were going to use nuclear weapons, why did we need any more than token preparations?

3.  All the evidence I've seen indicates that the Japanese would have fought to the bitter end, with or without Russian intervention.  It seems that we would have had to kill virtually every Japanese citizen to end the war without the psychological impact of nuclear weapons.  (The physical impact, while truly horrendous, was on the same scale as the fire bombing of Tokyo.)

4.  The other side is always the revisionists.

. . .