Re: My Answer to Many Posts on "Annual Attempt at Correction"

In a message dated 8/8/02 11:28:58 AM Mountain Daylight Time, Jack_Earley@RL.GOV writes:

Stimson's moral courage prevented the destruction of Kyoto--the religious and cultural center of Japan with NO use as a military target. It was untouched, and Groves and the other generals wanted a pristine target to see the effects, if the device went off. The attempted targeting of Kyoto is an indication to me of the mindset of the military at that time

It is my understanding that sparing Kyoto was doine at the behest of Edwin O. Reischauer, who was a student of Japanese culture and who had some idea of the spiritual and cultural values of the antiquities at Kyoto.

Can we please stop re-fighting WWII?
Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com