Re: Prussian Blue

Bjorn,

While I'm not a medical doctor, I have had interest in this area for some

time, and have done quite a bit of reading on the subject, and participated

in several studies related to this issue.

Cesium is an biologic analogue of potassium. It appears to tightly bind to

the transfer pores on the cell surface. (Surprisingly) in adults it is not

displaced by increased dietary intake of K or Na; there were several papers

published on this point in the 1960s. Further, there are other downsides

from oral supplementation with KCl and NaCl; other compounds may be

preferable.

There is some evidence that increased K supplementation may accelerate Cs

elimination in children, but it is not a profound acceleration. It doesn't

seem to have any effect in adults. This suggests that puberty may cause

certain physiological changes that alter the behavior of cesium.

The last I heard, Prussian Blue is still an experimental drug, and FDA has

not given permission for its widespread use for humans. I am not aware of

its specific pharmacology, but it appears to be relatively safe. [Perhaps

there are other listmembers who could amplify the current status and

behavior of the substance].  It is chemically specific for cesium; it binds

the cesium into an insoluble complex, which then passes through the gut into

the feces. This binding interferes with the bilatory recycling of the

cesium, which drops the body burden over a few days. Given the fact that

Cs-137 is not a particularly "dangerous" isotope, the use of PB would

probably not be justified unless the Cs-137 burden was quite high.

Bentonite has been used for reduction of toxic effects in the GI tract. I

don't know if it is effective for cesium due to the fact that I'm not sure

it interferes with the bilatory recycling. If you don't bind cesium to

something, it gets reabsorbed and recycled fairly readily.

Similarly, just increasing water intake doesn't appear to have much effect

either (recall the cesium becomes tightly bound to the cell walls).

I believe there was a very good discussion of these types of substances in

the first HPS Summer School on Internal Dosimetry. Check the textbook that

was published from that session.

Jim Barnes, CHP

james.g.barnes@att.net