Re: Prussian Blue

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: JGinniver@AOL.COM <JGinniver@AOL.COM>

An: bcradsafers@HOTMAIL.COM <bcradsafers@HOTMAIL.COM>

Cc: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Dienstag, 13. August 2002 00:17

Betreff: Re: Prussian Blue

>The other agent, identified as more effective than prussian blue was Nickle

>or ferric ferrocyanide-anion exchange resin.

>This special resin form of Prussian Blue reported to be more beneficial

than

>Prussian Blue alone.  The nickle form was claimed to be more effective than

>the ferric complex especially when administred promptly after Cs ingestion.

>The recommended treatment wasd 1 Gram given orally with water, then 0.5

gram

>every 6 hours for 7 days.  The patient is then rested for one week and the

>process then repeated if necessary.

>No side effects were observed in two human males given 3 seperate weekly

>courses of treatment.  Iinuma et al, (1971). "Application of metal

>ferrocyanide-anion exchange resins to the enhancement of elimination of

>Cs-137 from human body." Health Phys 20, 11.

>Regards

>             Julian

Julian,

Maybe we should distinguish between use of ferrocyanides for humans and for

animals. I guess, that in the case of animals the costs play a very

important role, while for humans costs are of no importance. Another

question, which has not really been addressed, is, whether reduction of

Cs-137 concentration makes much sense in terms of dose saved. During these

days, biologically grown food is of so high esteem, that I wonder, whether

meat of animals treated with ferrocyanides would satisfy the customer.

Let me recall the strategy for sheep in Cumbria: They lived in the lake

district of Cumbria (really beautiful area!) and some time before

slaughtering they were transported to lower pastures, which were more or

less uncontaminated and so they lost their Cs-137+134 burden - and were

slaughtered. (It would have been wise for them to be in the control

group......)

Do you know, how the situation of sheep is in Cumbria?

Franz