Portable gamma spectroscopy

Rick,
I just finished an evaluation for a report I’m writing on the most effective portable gamma spectroscopy units on the market. One of the instruments I researched stood out, the Berkeley Nucleonics SAM model 935. My report will not be published for another couple weeks, but this Innovative Technology Summary Report from Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory report might be of some help to you.
THE NEED
INEEL) has a need for a radiation detection monitor that can provide isotopic characterization on a real-time basis.
THE TECHNOLOGY
The SAM 935, a product of Berkeley Nucleonics (www.berkeleynucleonics.com), uses a thallium-activated sodium iodide (NaI(Tl)) detector to provide isotopic identification in a hand held radiation detector. This innovative technology combines the NaI(Tl) detector with a time-slicing, data compression technique resulting in shorter acquisition times, accurate identification, and spectroscopic capabilities. Quadratic Compression Conversion (QCC), a data compression technique, allows the operator the ability to identify multiple isotopes in one-second intervals. Using an internal database, the SAM 935 can detect up to 128 radionuclides.
THE DEMONSTRATION
The SAM was demonstrated recently at various INEEL D&D projects. Measurements were performed on a variety of media, including equipment, paint, and soil. The demonstration of the SAM analyzer took place in the Test Area North (TAN). Samples that were analyzed using the SAM were identified in real time compared to laboratory analysis and other handheld detectors used at the INEEL.

Nicole Sarno, CHP
Programs Manager
nsarno@excite.com

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com