Safety thoughts; Re:safety gave way to profit at davis-besse

Norm,

You are bringing a valid point.

I disagree with you on the principle about the

nuclear energy.

However, Folks.

It is unfortunate that we may have alike a wall

street booming market bubble with the analogy to

the nuclear power production. I will try to

explain what I do mean by that, but I have to be

very careful here.

We all should know from the past that connecting

power production with the power plants managers

work performance is a very grossly mistake.

They can say that "SAFETY is the FIRST" trillion,

billion, million times......and it will be

childish and stupid at a minimum or hypocritical

on a average and a criminal on a high end.

It is sad that nuclear energy was and still is

used and abused.

Just remember guys it is not a nuclear sub which

is going through the major overhaul every other

year, power plants do not get that much of

maintenance.

Is it just me who is wondering, Plants are

getting older but they are producing more

power???

What has happened? New technologies? Common.

If car is getting older you better slow down or

you wont drive it for long.

 I am asking it, having a personal agenda here, I

want nuclear power to prosper and new plants to

be build and for me to have an electricity in the

house.

You guys...you may want the same BUT with this

bonus check you are cutting OUR tree.

Playing cat and mouse game with the media and

public is like playing a Russian roulette, it is

just matter of time when you will get cut.....

It is coming again to my rhetorical question:

Why do people have three languages?

Thinking, writing and spoken....

A nice week for everyone,

Emil.

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:51:29 -0400From: Norman

Cohen <ncohen12@comcast.net>

Subject: safety gave way to profit at davis-besse

yeah, I know, "nobody died - all is well" ;-).

But we came too close to a major accident for my

liking.norm

"Dr. Bill Corcoran at NSRC" wrote:> Please scroll

down for today's story. Best

Regards, Bill Corcoran W.> R. Corcoran, Ph.D.,

P.E.

> Nuclear Safety Review Concepts> 21 Broadleaf

Circle> Windsor, CT 06095-1634

> 860-285-8779 Fax: 702-993-2408> Mission: Saving

lives, pain, assets, and

careers through thoughtful> inquiry. Check out

our e-groups  at>

> where you will find all back issues of "The

Firebird Forum" and at

> where you will find a dialogue on the

Davis-Besse near miss LOCA.,

> including photos, polls, files, tables, and

links. For a complimentary

> subscription to our e-newsletter on root cause,

organizational

firebird.one@alum.MIT.edu

http://pages.prodigy.net/corcoran.nsrc/index.html__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

> <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =>

"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />>

> [Image]>> Operators say <?xml:namespace prefix

= st1 ns =

> "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"

/>Ohio nuclear plant put

> production before safety>> Associated Press>>>

8/16/2002 08:50 am>> [Image]>

> Safety took a backseat to production at the

Davis-Besse nuclear plant

> the last three years and clues to major

equipment problems were

> overlooked, the plant's operators told

regulators.>

> It was the strongest admission yet by

FirstEnergy Corp.'s nuclear

> division about mistakes made at the plant where

inspectors found the

> most extensive corrosion ever on a U.S. nuclear

reactor.>

> "We gave away the margin of safety," said Steve

Loehlein, leader of an

> internal investigation into the damage at the

plant.>

> Among their findings: managers weren't involved

in fixing problems and

> rarely went into the reactor building and

operators justified

> potential problems to keep the plant running

instead of making> repairs.>

> Loehlein said there was a "loss of focus.">

> FirstEnergy nuclear's chief operating officer,

Lew Myers, told Nuclear

> Regulatory Commission officials in Chicago on

Thursday that they were

> embarrassed by what happened.>

> The plant near Toledo has been shut down since

February, when

> inspectors discovered during routine

maintenance that boric acid had

> nearly eaten through a steel cap that covers

the reactor vessel.>

> The shutdown led to a nationwide review of all

69 similar plants, but

> no similar problems were found.>> Akron-based

FirstEnergy is spending an

estimated $55 million to $75> million to replace

the reactor lid.>

> FirstEnergy wants to reopen the plant at the

end of the year, but NRC

> officials made it clear the company will need

to make many changes

> before they will allow a restart.>

> The utility must exceed the NRC's standards to

get the plant operating

> again, said Jim Dyer, regional administrator of

the NRC's Chicago> office.>

> "You need to set your own standards," he said.

"It's going to be quite

> a challenging period for both you and us”.>>

"This cannot happen again.">

> FirstEnergy already has removed several top

managers at the plant,

> including Howard Bergendahl, vice president in

charge of Davis-Besse

> and the former plant manager.>> The NRC also

said that its own inspection

efforts were focused on> problems at other

nuclear plants in the Midwest

from 1997 to 2000.>> "We provided a minimal

amount of inspection,"

Dyer said. "And as a> result of that, the quality

degraded.">> ___>> On the Net:

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs

http://www.hotjobs.com