EMF: exposure vs. dose vs. nonsense

Dear Richard , Ruth and all:

The discussion of the potential health effects of electromagnetic fields

breaks down immediately on the constructs EXPOSURE and DOSE.  What does it

mean to be "exposed" to a magnetic field?  What is a  "dose" of magnetism?

We HP-types talk about exposures all the time in relation to ionizing

radiation. Exposure to ionizing radiation refers to an observed effect: the

production of ions in the exposed substance. Similarly dose refers to the

transfer of energy per unit mass of the substance receiving the dose.  What

are the equivalent constructs in reference to magnetic fields?  It is NOT

the field strength vector (H = B/mu) or the flux density vector (B). These

are mathematical constructs that assign a set of three numbers to points in

space surrounding a magnet. What observable effect in the "exposed"

substance is being measured when we talk of exposure to a magnetic field?

Also remember that a magnetic field is NOT a form of radiation (not even the

non-ionizing type).

To say that one is exposed to a 4mG field is equivalent to saying that one

was exposed to 4 mCi of radiation. The result is literally nonsense.

Clayton J. Bradt, CHP

Principal Radiophysicist

NYS Dept. of Labor

Radiological Health Unit