Re: AW: irradiated mail

Franz,

The difference is that irradiation of food, spices, and med devices are targeting active organisms.  The mail is being irradiated to eliminate spores - inactive but still viable survival capsules for anthrax.  The rate of metabolism and water content seems to be the determining factor.  The spores require a much higher dose to destroy them than the active organisms.

I have seen the dose comparisons listed (I think on radsafe, someone interested in the exact numbers could check the archives) but I do not recall the exact numbers.  I think it is the difference between 10's of KiloRads for food to MegaRads for spores.

Zack Clayton

Ohio EPA - DERR

email:  zack.clayton@epa.state.oh.us

voice:  614-644-3066