RE: irradiated mail

I believe that this thread was handled last year.  After the anthrax attack,

the government stated irradiating mail going to certain Washington DC zip

codes, e.g., Congress, Supreme Court, White House.  Electron beam

sterilization facilities in Ohio and New Jersey are being used.   Electrons

are used to get an adequate dose, approximately 10 kGy, in a relatively

short period of time.  Again, you are trying to inactivate the spores, not

kill live bacteria.  The mail is wrapped in plastic wrap packages and

irradiated on one side and them the other.  When it is returned to the DC

post office, the workers are supposed to open the packages outside to vent

the gases the are generated by the heat produced.  There have been instances

were the mail has caught fire while it was being irradiated.

Generally, the paper becomes yellow and brittle.  I heard that one report

that was 2 inched (5 cm) thick was reduced to about 1 cm, and the pages

crumbled as they were turned.

Another example of a "good idea" that was not well thought out.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane