Re: AW: Demise of UNSCEAR?

on 10/2/02 8:34 PM, Franz Schoenhofer at franz.schoenhofer@CHELLO.AT wrote:

>       1.. ALARA is not intended to control high dose levels. That's what

> dose limits are supposed to do

>       2.. IMO, anything <5.0 rem/yr  is not worth worrying about.

> [---------------------------------------------------------------------------

>   If you have to observe a limit for members of the public of  1 mSv/y you

> h a v e  to worry for 50 mSv/y, whether you agree or not.

Spoken like a regulator. That has nothing to do with science. To a

scientist, because there is no risk at 50 mSv/y, the regulation at 1 mSv/yr

is only, either the result of extreme ignorance, or (since no one is that

ignorant) a financial advantage to those who install and implement such a

regulation.

>   Furthermore my critic: Your answer contained 7 (seven!) lines, but your

> whole message contained 4 (four!) previous messages, filling more than three

> pages. This critic is not restricted to you, but seems to have become a

> habit. No wonder, that space on the computer gets short.

I have deleted 5 lines above. This does destroy the integrity of the

message, but I'm sure you will think it is better to have "saved" a few

electrons - which is just like a regulator "saving" a few mSv! even if it

does destroy the integrity of science, and morality.  :-)

>   Franz

Regards, Jim