Toledo Blade Editorial Lauds Lochbaum's Work on the Besse-Mess -Knocks NRC

Though I wouldn't call Dave a "professional gadfly".

Norm

> Paul Blanch wrote:

   Toledo Blade Editorial - 10/11/02

> [...]

>  There actually is a real-life David. He’sDavid Lochbaum, who has been

> nuclear safety engineer in the Union of Concerned Scientists  (UCS)

> Washington, D.C., office since the 1990s. UCS is a nonprofit  organization

> of scientists and citizens that does technical studies  and lobbies on

> energy, environment, and other issues.

>  Mr. Lochbaum has used his 17 years of experience in the nuclear power

> industry, and the NRC’s own records, to document intolerable lapses in

> the agency’s regulation of Davis-Besse. His work has supplemented

> excellent news reporting on Davis-Besse by The Blade and other media.

>  The documents show, for instance, that NRC managers overruled a staff

> recommendation to close Davis-Besse last December.

>  NRC staff concluded that Davis-Besse was a safety hazard that should  be

> shut down immediately. But NRC management vetoed it. Management let

> Davis-Besse stay in operation for almost two months, with safety  systems

> degraded.

>  Why? Because an NRC manager felt an earlier shutdown would put a dent  in

> FirstEnergy’s profits, according to Mr.Lochbaum’s documents. The  NRC’s

> sole concern should have been public safety, not the profit

>  margin of a utility it was supposed to be regulating.

>  That’s just one example of what may be a dangerous institutional  culture

> at the NRC, in which managers have lost sight of the agency’s  statutory

> role. Others have come to light thanks to Mr.Lochbaum’s  effectiveness as

> a professional gadfly.

>  Mr.Lochbaum contends that NRC managers don’t have the backbone to  stand

> up to the utilities. He calls the NRC a federal agency "with a  brain, but

> no spine," and urges a congressional investigation of the  NRC’s

> performance.

>  Even the NRC acknowledged Wednesday its own failures to monitor

> Davis-Besse’s problems.

>  We may take exception to UCS positions on some other topics. But

> Congress should investigate the NRC. UCS’ impressive evidence on the

> NRC’s failings can be perused at http://www.ucsusa.org.

>  The Davis-Besse incident has damaged prospects for a national  expansion

> of nuclear power. It could be a clean, secure, abundant  source of energy

> for the 21st century. But does NRC management have the ability - and the

> guts - to assure its safe use?

>  Until Congress addresses those questions, the NRC itself may be a  cloud

> on nuclear power’s horizon.

>  PaulM. Blanch

>  135 Hyde Rd.

>  West Hartford, CT06117

>  Pager 800-539-1786

>                                                           Coalition for

> Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave., Linwood,

> NJ 08221; 609-601-8583 or 609-601-8537;  ncohen12@comcast.net  UNPLUG

> SALEM WEBSITE:  http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND

> JUSTICE WEBSITE:  http://www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The

> Coalition for Peace and Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.

"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you; Then

you win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin Carpenter)