radiation exposue at st lucie

> Radiation Exposure at Nuclear Plant

> ASSOCIATED PRESS

> HUTCHINSON ISLAND, Fla.- Federal officials are investigating

> how 28 nuclear power plant workers were exposed to radiation

> during a maintenance operation.

> Florida Power & Light, owner of the St. Lucie Nuclear Plant,

> said plant employees and several outside contractors inhaled

> radioactive particles Oct. 6 during maintenance work on one

> of the plant's two units.

> The radiation was at a "very low" level, and none of the

> workers reported feeling sick, the company said.

> FPL officials expected some radiation to be released during

> the operation, and two workers who were pressure-cleaning

> beneath the top part of the reactor in the 230-foot-tall

> building were wearing protective suits. However, the 28

> workers 62 feet above them were not wearing any protection.

> "The dose is expected to be kept as low as reasonably

> achievable, and in this incident we're not sure that's what

> occurred," said Len Wert, an Atlanta-based branch chief for

> the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, which supervises

> inspectors at Florida's nuclear plants.

> In August, the NRC ordered 69 of the nation's 103 nuclear

> reactor facilities to test certain reactor heads after

> inspections revealed corrosion and cracks at two plants in

> South Carolina and Ohio. This was the first such cleaning at

> the St. Lucie plant.

> Federal inspectors are investigating whether FPL followed

> government guidelines, said NRC spokesman Roger Hannah.

                                                             [Image]

             [Image]

--

Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr

Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8583 or 609-601-8537;

ncohen12@comcast.net  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:

http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:

http://www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for Peace and

Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.

"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you;

Then you win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin

Carpenter)