Re: "dangerous" exposures

"Kent, Michael D." wrote:

 Ever heard of 50/50/90 Norm?

-- um.... 50% of the time I'm right, 50% of the time I"m wrong and 90% of the time I think I'm right anyway? ---

 You are wrong.

-- Tis OK, on radsafe I'm always wrong. ;-)  ----

Personnel get a larger uptake when placing nozzle dams in SG's at some plants.  This is because it has been determined to be ALARA.  Dose is Dose, whether it comes externally or internally.

The reason this is such a big deal is because it was a UNPLANNED exposure.  That the NRC frowns on.  It goes back to the old saying "If one can't do small projects correctly how can they be expected to perform the larger projects correctly?".

--- I can agree with you that the UMPLANNED exposure would get NRC to look at it closely.  The problem with your 2nd sentence is that NRC has pulled back from looking at how many small mistakes can lead to big ones. Almost every inspection report that I read, "minor" errors get ignored because they are of "low safety significance". ---

Norm

Michael D. Kent

--
Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8583 or 609-601-8537;  ncohen12@comcast.net  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:  http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:  http://www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for Peace and Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.
"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you; Then you win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin Carpenter)