AW: Equine Radiography

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Bill Ulicny

Gesendet: Dienstag, 15. Oktober 2002 20:34

An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Betreff: RE: Equine Radiography

I have recently had occasion to observe radiological protection practices at

a "large animal" veterinary hospital (focus on equines).  The majority of

films required not only a technician to hold the film in place, but another

to steady the horse, and a third to aim and shoot the beam.  The beam

operator received the least dose, the animal "steadier" received the next

least, and the film holder received the most.

The film holder used a lead-lined glove.  An extension rod was available,

but it did not allow the user to hold the film steady and keep the film

cartridge from startling the horse.  The site rotated worker positions

throughout the day to distribute the dose.

It is an interesting health physics situation, and one that is not normally

associated with medical x-rays.  However, I have also recently observed

pediatric x-ray procedures, and similar worker exposure situations can be

found.  An added obstacle is that sometimes the owner or parent has to be in

the room to steady the animal or child, respectively.

Bill Ulicny

SC&A

The two mails on equine radiography were a really good example, how

"radiation protection" and ALARA is executed in reality. And we "quarrel" at

RADSAFE about microSv and nanoSv per year, a few Bq of Rn per m3, about

hormesis and LNT!!!!!

Best regards,

Franz