From: Mitchell Davis [mailto:radiation@cox.net]

Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 4:27 PM

To: Michael G. Stabin; radsafe

Subject: Re: some details on St. Lucie

I am perplexed by this.  I have been involved in nuclear plant work (outside

my 8 yr Navy career) since 1987.  This sort of thing happens frequently.

Not that it is supposed to, but it just does.  I have been at many plants

that during refueling we "lose containment" to airborne.  It happens for

various reasons.  Some controllable, others not.  The exposures received are

within the applicable regulatory constraints.  I certainly understand the

NRC's concern as these were unplanned exposures.  Are they serious exposures

which require some type of health issue assessment?  Absolutely not!!  Do

they require some sort of investigation as to what went wrong and to find a

way to prevent these from happing in the future?  Yes but only from a

planning stand point.  I do not understand how individuals working in an

environment of radioactivity are expected to receive zero dose.  It is going

to happen!!!  That is part of the "risk" in employment in this industry.  To

not have exposure would be like saying a welder should not be exposed to the

brightness of the weld field as he/she completes a weld field.  When are we

as professionals going to stop this madness by simply admitting that there

are risks associated with this profession?  Anybody want to be a fisherman

in Alaska?

Mitchell W. Davis, RRPT

Health Physicist

915-697-3523