Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2002 3:47 AM
Subject: Re: some details on St. Lucie

In a message dated 10/17/2002 8:13:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time, michael.g.stabin@vanderbilt.edu writes:

We should NOT stop monitoring, I'm not saying that, either. I'm just saying
react in proportion to the hazard. If a box of dirty tools falls on the
interstate, you don't need to scramble literally hundreds of emergency
workers and terrorize the public to clean it up. If someone gets a 21 mrem
unplanned exposure, log it, report it, and get back to working on something
of actual significance.

Thank you very much.  We (i.e., health physics professionals) contribute to the public hysteria by even giving a nod to a 21 millirem exposure.  I mean Puh-Lease!  Record it, like a pilot would their flight hours.  We track it because small exposures can indeed add up over time, but is this in any way remarkable?  No.

And, as for closing a highway after contaminated tools fell out of a truck, I'll call you with a local emergency response agency evacuating 200 people from a building after finding an exempt source there.  We really need to be reaching out to our First Responders and educating them with all we've got, before we see a real death from a panic evacuation where there was no real hazard in the first place.

Barbara