RE: NY Times - nuke guards swamped by overtime

>To do so, it put the guards on 12-hour shifts instead of 8, often six days a week instead of five.

>"If something happened, these would be basket cases," said Peter Stockton, a security expert

>who was a special assistant to the secretary of energy in the Clinton administration and now works with the

>Project on Government Oversight, a nonprofit group in Washington that recently wrote a report on

>problems in power plant security.

Gee I hope our Armed forces don't encounter any terrorist or bad guys, because they would be basket cases.  How many days has our Armed Forces been in Afghanistan????????  They must be ready to blow a gasket.  I wonder how I lasted on a submarine, submerged for 88 days, watch every 12 hours, sometimes every six hours. I am sure a Carrier has been in the Med for at least five months right now, and those people are working more hours than that.

> In an interview, one guard at the plant here acknowledged that she "just lost it" at work one day.

Note:  Not everyone was meant to work at a Nuclear Power Plant.  If someone cannot handle the stress, it's time to go work somewhere else.  It is a free country, people can, and do, quit their job all the time.  If you do not want to work 12 hours QUIT!!!!!!!

>Overtime has always been common at nuclear plants during refueling shut-downs, but those typically last                      >weeks, not months. Mr. McGaffigan

This is a relatively new occurrence.  Shutdowns did use to last for months.

Just my own observations.

Michael D. Kent