RE: First radiation victim

I do not know who the first victim was, but in two radiation history reviews, one compiled by Kathren and another  in a CRC publication by by an author whose name I no not recall, I found the following:

The first award for radiation malpractice (X-ray burns) was in May of 1899.

In January of 1901, a person is alleged to have died of exposure to X-rays.

By 1902, Codman reports that the number of injuries attributable to X-ray exposure was 147.

In 1907, Wagner, an early X-ray experimenter started to carry a photographic plate in his pocket and developed each night to monitor radiation exposure.  He died 6 months later of cancer. The entry in the citations did not indicate whether or not the cancer had be initiated before the X-ray work began.

Sorry, but I did not copy down the original references when I saved this info to disk a number of years ago.  But, as you can see, these dates predate the deaths of the Ra dial painters.

Kjell Johansen

Sr. Chemist

Point Beach Nuclear Plant

Two Rivers, WI