NRC and UCS take differing views on DB decision-makiing

Paul Blanch wrote:

> Davis-Besse decision revisited before NRC

> 10/30/02

> John Funk, Stephen Koff and John Mangels

> Plain  Dealer Reporters

> Washington - The nuclear industry is hearing two conflicting takes on

> the government's controversial decision last fall to allow the

> Davis-Besse power plant to continue operating when regulators strongly

> suspected that the reactor's lid was cracked and leaking.

> On one hand, a top Nuclear Regulatory Commission official yesterday

> gave a detailed presentation in support of the agency's use of a new

> analytical process that focuses attention on areas deemed to have the

> most risk while eliminating unnecessary regulation.

> On the other hand, the NRC's harshest critics say the methodology

> created a "regulatory fiasco" at Davis-Besse.

> Using the risk-informed process, "not one person said 'I object' or 'I

> have a technical problem' " at an NRC staff meeting last November to

> hash out the final decision, Brian Sheron, the agency's senior

> licensing and technical official, said yesterday at the NRC's annual

> meeting on nuclear safety research. "It may not be their ideal

> [decision], but they all said it was acceptable . . . from a safety

> standpoint."

> The NRC lacked the solid proof its lawyers said was necessary to shut

> down Davis-Besse before owner FirstEnergy Corp. wanted to, Sheron

> said.

> And letting the plant run six weeks longer did not significantly

> heighten the risk to the public.

> Also, the president of FirstEnergy's nuclear division personally

> assured the agency that the reactor lid had been properly inspected.

> The counter view comes from the Union of Concerned Scientists.

> The evidence at Davis-Besse "strongly suggests that the NRC's

> risk-informed sword is razor-sharp on the side that cuts regulatory

> requirements, but is dull as a Nerf knife on the side that imposes

> requirements," said UCS nuclear safety engineer David Lochbaum in

> prepared remarks that are to be delivered today.

> "We may not be so lucky as we were this time at Davis-Besse if the NRC

> continues with its 'business-as-usual' swordsmanship," he said. The

> NRC last year asked operators of plants like Davis-Besse to provide

> evidence that their reactors were safe to continue operating. That

> evidence, in the form of visual or instrument-aided inspections of

> reactor lids, could only be obtained when the reactors were shut down.

> Officials at Davis-Besse, which was at high risk for cracking and

> leaks because of its operating temperature, wanted to do the

> inspection during a refueling outage in March, three months later than

> the NRC wanted.

> The utility brokered a compromise shutdown on Feb. 16. Soon afterward,

> workers found that not only was the lid cracking and leaking but that

> corrosive coolant residue that had accumulated for years atop the lid

> [...]

Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr

Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8583 or 609-601-8537;

ncohen12@comcast.net  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:

http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:

http://www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for Peace and

Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.

"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you;

Then you win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin

Carpenter)