RE: " we're evolved for radiation " - geophysicist on pole reversals

Jim,

I think you are over responding to my questions.  My original question,

which may not have been too clear, is why did the author think that the

diminishing magnetic field affect life on earth?  Again, my impression is

that the atmosphere is our primary solar and cosmic radiation shield.  Also,

the phrase that life "evolved for radiation" seemed strange to me.

As I understand it, evolution is a response to a changing environment.  If

you put primitive cells into a flask and gave them all the energy (heat) and

nutrients to exist, would they evolve beyond their?  I would think not.

Even if a genetic change would occur, it might not express itself.  However,

some stress, such as a reduction in food supply, would probably result is

some evolutionary change.  Of course, not all of the cells would evolve in

response to the stress.  (When I was in graduate school to selectively

choose E. coli and other bacteria that had specific genetic markers, like

those that were unable to survive without the addition of specific amino

acids. We did not have a lot of the techniques and markers used now.)  If

life exists on Mars or other places in our Solar System, it is because the

organisms can survive in their present environment, and the environment

prevents future chances for survival.  If their environments improved, they

might have the opportunity to evolve.  What I am trying to say is they have

"geared up" for survival, but cannot advance.

With regard to ionizing radiation, I view it as another environmental

factor, like heat, UV radiation, food, etc.  While you say that it is

essential, you would have to evaluate the response of each and every

biological system to see if that was true.  (I think you can say it is

essential for some systems, but only those you test and prove it is

essential.  To say it is essential of ALL cells, you would have to test ALL

cells.)

While you can say that DNA is conserved, I am not sure it is provable or

matters either.  How do you know that a certain codon that was essential for

a unicellular creature exists it human cells?  You can probably decode the

sequence, but if is cannot be expressed, how do you know if it is the true

original sequence, or a result of recombination from more distant genetic

sequences?  When radiodurans repair DNA damage, do they use the same

molecules humans use?

By the way I got rid of my high school biology books years ago.  My reading

in science has become more contemporary and challenging.

My second question was to determine when the last "flip-flop" occurred.  It

would have been interesting if any civilized culture had reported on any

events they witnessed, like no auroras.  Also, besides mass extinctions,

there have been mass diversions of species that have occurred.  Stephen

Gould was a proponent of this aspect of evolution.  I wonder if any magnetic

shifts correlated with such evolutionary events.

Have a good week.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist