Re: Hormesis in DSB formation and repair

Jim,

Why don't YOU access this article and supply objective comments?  Is the

purpose to draw those who offer any criticism into an e-mail war with you?

Have a nice weekend.

-- John

John P. Jacobus, MS, CHP

3050 Traymore Lane

Bowie, MD 20715-2024

jenday1@msn.com (H)

> On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 09:04:49 -0500

> Jim Muckerheide wrote:

> Friends,

> Further indication of hormetic effects in the dynamics of DSB formation

and

> repair by irradiation.

> If you have access to this journal/article, I would appreciate your

> contribution and review/comments.

> Thank you.

> Regards, Jim

> ============

> Radiation Physics and Chemistry

> Volume 65, Issues 4-5, November 2002, Pages 487-493

> Molecular mechanisms and time-dependent dynamics of hormesis, antagonism

and

> radioprotective effects at combined ionizing irradiation of biological

> systems

> Vladimir I. Vysotskii, , a, Anatolii A. Pinchuka, Alla A. Kornilovab and

> Igor I. Samoylenkoc

> Abstract

> We study the time-dependent dynamics of formation, relaxation and

> self-reparation of DNA double-strand breaks at combined irradiation and

the

> non-radiation degradation processes. The self-repairing process of DNA

> double-strand breaks is related with the peculiarities of long-range

> interaction of nucleotides within the breakage area. The properties of an

> intracellular liquid and the characteristics of the long-range interaction

> between the end pairs of nucleotides in the area of DNA double-strand

break

> are changed during irradiation. Each kind of irradiation is characterized

by

> certain effectiveness of double-strand breaks formation but on the other

> hand, the irradiation creates the conditions for their liquidation. Based

on

> the analysis and correlation of these phenomena the time-dependent theory

> for DNA degradation was created, including hormesis phenomenon, radiation

> antagonism, the validity of anomaly influence of low and large doses at

> sharp and chronic irradiation and other effects. A qualitative and

> quantitative agreement of the theory and experimental results was

obtained.