Re: Meat Irradiation Note ... it's about trust

"Richard L. Hess" wrote:

>  Bill, ...

> I am a bit surprised that someone who advocates trust in every

> signature (and presumably is requesting that people trust him) be so

> skeptical about other experts, although I shouldn't be surprised as I

> feel this way at times, too.

Good point, although I don't agree with your "presumably."  What I'm

trying to say with that signature is not that others should trust me,

but rather that the radiation protection community bears the burden of

proof to convince others that radiation can be used safely.  We should

thus not be upset when others doubt our axioms, and must definitely

avoid being condescending.  If someone has an "irrational" fear of

radiation, it is most likely due to some of our past screwups.   We must

thus learn from our mistakes and never be satisfied with "good enough."

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com