REM ???

Don't know if this got posted before, so I'll give it one more try.

		Radsafers,

		I recently read an article in the popular press where the

familiar (to us) acronym "REM" was spelled out as "Roentgen Equivalent

Mammal" (vs. "Roentgen Equivalent Man.")  I had never heard this term

before.

		Discussion of the more currently appropriate term "Sievert"

aside,  is "mammal" appropriate here?  It seems to me that since dose

equivalent has to do with the biological effects of a particular absorbed

dose, it would not be the same for all mammals across the board.

		In addition, when I first learned this stuff ~30 years ago,

it was "man" (if my failing memory serves me well).  Is this something new?

		Thanks.

		Bates Estabrooks

		Facility Safety Engineering

		BWXT Y-12