Re: Disposal of Medical Linac Targets

Since this is NOT NRC licensed material, state regulations would apply.  You'd have to consult them to determine what

is "exempt."  Also keep in mind that, even if the material is exempt, the exemption probably does not apply to

disposal.

To perform a characterization of the components, you'd have to determine the radionuclide mix for each major

component.  This can be done in two ways.

1.  If you have a good idea of the materials in the target and the exposure history, you could perform a calculation,

using a program such as ORIGEN.  If different components have different material mixtures, you'd have to perform a

separate calculation for each mixture.

2.  You could send samples for laboratory analysis.  Again, you'd need a separate sample for each material mixture.

Once you had the radionculide mix, you could estimate the radionuclide activities from the dose rates, using a

program such as Microshield.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton