Re: Color TV screens as radon daughter collectors

It depends on the radon levels in the area of the screen.  In high radon

level homes (>200 pCi/l) you don't even need the electrostatic depostion

provided by the screen.  Just walk around for about a half hour with a

sweater on and you'll be able to get a reading with a 2" pancake probe

or a microR meter.  If the radon levels are low (in the range of 1 - 4

pCi/l) you'll need to collect a lot of dust off a large screen (i.e.,

high voltage) and a thin window GM tube.  Filter paper (such as that

used for swipes) works well.  Of course, if you have access to a low

background gas flow proportional counter you'll be able to see very low

levels.

Gerald Nicholls

NJDEP

609-633-7964

Gerald.Nicholls@dep.state.nj.us

>>> "North, David" <DNorth@LIFESPAN.ORG> 11/15/02 11:09AM >>>

Dear Radsafers,

I know this subject has come up on the List before, but I wasn't

paying

really close attention. Now my daughter needs some sort of science

project,

and I thought it might be possible for her to assay some airborne dust

(hopefully laden with radon daughters) that collects on TV and PC

monitor

screens. Are there any tips out there for doing this? What's good for

cleaning the screens? What's good for counting, a thin-window GM? How

long

does the TV have to be powered on to collect enough?

Any help will be much appreciated. If my daughter is happy, the whole

family

will be happy!

David L. North, Sc.M. DABR

Associate Physicist

Department of Medical Physics

Main Bldg Rm 317

Rhode Island Hospital

593 Eddy St.

Providence, RI 02903

ph: (401)444-5961

fax: (401)444-4446

dnorth@lifespan.org

radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.