RE: "FOOD WITHOUT FEAR" [FW][Scanned]

Radsafers,

Spoilt food cannot be 'reconditioned' and the poisonous by-products

mostly remain poisonous after cooking or irradiation.  Irradiation must

be done before the spoiling process has proceeded. And the product

should be sealed air tight to prevent pathogens from contaminating it

anew.  Hikers' meals are cooked, sealed, irradiated and keep for

typically a year at normal temperatures, provided the seal remains

intact.  In tinned food a similar situation is obtained by high

temperature, which affects the taste and texture.  The comparatively

very low energy input by ionizing radiation seems to be the advantage.

However, food irradiation has got its trade secrets for optimum results

(which are excellent).  I believe it is important for the food industry

to consult experienced professionals on optimal techniques, otherwise

there is a risk that the technique could get a bad name with consumers.

I agree with Ted that the free radicals won't last. My own musings.

Chris Hofmeyr

chofmeyr@nnr.co.za