RE: Color TV screens as radon daughter collectors

Sir

Everyone has access to all the messages in this string at all times.  And, no, I didn't "confirm what you just said".  What you said was that "the radon decay series is the longer lived (approx 4 days) and thoron is the shorter lived decay series.  The discussion has, since its inception, borne upon radon and thoron *daughters*, not the parents per se.  It is certainly true that "radon" (Rn-222) is a daughter of U-238, while "thoron" (Rn-220) is in the thorium (Th-232) decay chain. Hence its historical name, I would guess.  Anyway, this sort of misunderstanding is exactly why I provided the actual half-lives, i.e., so that people can make their own assessments of the rather gnarly relative proportions of the nuclides of interest.

Cheers

cja